1. MINUTES of previous meeting.
2. PERMITS (Projects over $50,000 with no objections and with staff recommendation for approval).
3. FLUOR DANIEL/MORRISON KNUDSEN, L.L.C., #97-1216-2, requests authorization to construct bridge crossings over the James River, Falling Creek and Cornelius Creek in association with the construction of Interstate 895 between Interstate 295 in Henrico and Route 150 (Chippenham Parkway) in Chesterfield County. The project is protested by local residents.
4. NORTH-SOUTH DRIVE CIVIC ASSOCIATION/POINT BREEZE, #98-0063-16, requests authorization to extend an existing community pier 86 linear feet and install 16 moorings adjacent to their property situated along the Rappahannock River in Essex County. The project is protested by two adjacent property owners.
5. MR. BRUCE R. LEE, #98-0082-16, requests authorization to construct a 50-foot long by 12-foot wide reinforced concrete boatramp adjacent to his property situated along the Rappahannock River in Caroline County. Wetlands and subaqueous permits are required.
6. CITY OF LYNCHBURG, #98-0167-7, requests authorization to construct a culvert road crossing consisting of three 12-foot by 10-foot box culverts across Tomahawk Creek in connection with the extension of the Enterprise Drive Connector in the City of Lynchburg. The project is protested by several nearby property owners.
7. MR. ROBERT F. BOYER, #97-1358-2, requests authorization to construct 200 linear feet of bulkhead at his property situated along the Mattaponi River in King and Queen County. Wetlands permit required.
May 26, 1998
8. PUBLIC HEARING: Proposed regulation entitled "General Permit for Emergency Situations and Water Quality Improvement Projects Involving State-owned Subaqueous Beds in Non-tidal Waterways" (4 VAC 20-395-10 et. seq.).
9. DISCUSSION: Conservation measures for the horseshoe crab resource.
10. CONSIDERATION of appeals of crab pot license denials.
11. RECOMMENDATIONS of the Commercial and Recreational Fishing Advisory Boards.
12. JOHN VIGLIOTTA'S request for a permit to raise selected finfish species for hatchery growout and sale.
13. MANDATORY REPORTING - appeal for Michael Shackelford.
VMRC DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES; THEREFORE, IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE ADVISE LAVERNE LEWIS (757) 247-2261 NO LATER THAN FIVE WORK DAYS PRIOR TO THE MEETING DATE AND IDENTIFY YOUR NEEDS.
FISHERY AGENDA ITEMS WILL BE CONSIDERED BY THE COMMISSION AT APPROXIMATELY 12:00 NOON AND WILL BE FOLLOWED WITH THE REMAINDER OF THE HABITAT PERMIT CASES.
May 26, 1998
2A. TABBS CREEK CIVIC ASSOCIATION, #95-1672-12, requests a modification to allow maintenance dredging of the previously authorized channel into Tabbs Creek in Lancaster County to maintain the permitted depth of minus eight (-8) feet at mean low water. The material will be removed hydraulically on an as-needed basis and contained within the previously authorized upland disposal site. Recommend approval for a five (5) year period with the inclusion of all original permit terms and conditions.
2B. PINNACLE NATURAL AREA PRESERVE, #98-0048-10, requests authorization to repair an existing concrete low water ford and construct a pedestrian suspension bridge across 48 linear feet of Big Cedar Creek at their facility situated in Russell County. Recommend inclusion of our standard in-stream permit conditions.
2C. VIRGINIA CENTER INC., #98-0211-2, requests authorization to construct a bridge over the Chickahominy River in association with a new road located upstream of the Interstate 95 crossing between Henrico and Hanover County. Recommend a royalty of $1,425.00 for the encroachment over 2,850 square feet of State-owned subaqueous land at a rate of $0.50 per square foot.
2D. NAVAL MEDICAL CENTER, #97-1522-14, requests authorization to modify their existing permit to install an additional 1,300 linear feet of Class II riprap adjacent to their facility situated on Scotts Creek in the City of Portsmouth.
2E. PRECON MARINE, INC., #97-2093-14, requests authorization to temporarily install a general commercial mooring consisting of a 1,500-pound sea anchor and a 6,000-pound concrete block at N 36° 59' 50"/W 76° 28' 11" adjacent to the James River Bridge in the James River in the City of Newport News to provide anchorage for a work barge conducting bridge maintenance. Recommend permit be valid for two years and recommend a royalty of $240.00 (at a rate of $120.00 per year) for the encroachment over State-owned subaqueous bottom.
May 26, 1998
2F. COX COMMUNICATIONS, #98-0526-14, requests authorization to dredge by clamshell method approximately 1,000 cubic yards of State-owned subaqueous bottom to accommodate placement of 1,200 linear feet of fiber optic television submarine conduit under the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River at the Gilmerton Bridge in the City of Chesapeake. All dredge spoil shall be transported to Craney Island for disposal. Recommend a royalty in the amount of $1,500.00 for the encroachment under 1,200 linear feet of State-owned subaqueous bottom at a rate of $1.00 per linear foot and the dredging of approximately 1,000 cubic yards of State-owned subaqueous bottom at a rate of $0.30 per cubic yard.
2G. DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY, #98-0058-14, requests authorization to construct one (1) 120-foot long breakwater and one (1) 140-foot terminal groin and to nourish the beach with 1,200 cubic yards of sand which will be sprigged with wetlands vegetation adjacent to their property situated on Willoughby Bay in the City of Norfolk.
2H. DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY, #98-0057-14, requests authorization to install approximately 450 linear feet of riprap along the shoreline at the degaussing station in the northwest quadrant of the Norfolk Naval Base and approximately 400 linear feet of riprap along the shoreline east of the degaussing station situated on Willoughby Bay in the City of Norfolk.
2I. DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY, #98-0397-14, requests authorization to install approximately 236 linear feet of steel bulkhead with associated backfill a maximum of two (2) feet channelward of the existing bulkhead and to install one (1) mooring dolphin adjacent to the Third Port facility situated on Skiffes Creek at Fort Eustis.
2J. CONSERVATION AND REPLENISHMENT, #98-0348-13, requests authorization to construct two (2) 30,000 square foot intertidal oyster reefs. The proposed location of the first reef is approximately 3,000 feet south of the mouth of Cranes Creek between coordinates 37° 48' 36" north latitude 76° l8' l0" west longitude and 37° 48' 30" north latitude and 76° l8' 07" west longitude. The second intertidal reef is proposed for a location approximately l,500 feet southwest of Fleet Point between coordinates 37° 48' 35" north latitude 76° l7' 08" west longitude and 37° 48' 4l" north latitude and 76° l7' 08" west longitude in Northumberland County.